Find Spiritual Director
The desire to do penance (be converted) is a worthy goal. Often one needs help on the journey. A good spiritual director can provide that help.
All penitents in the Confraternity of Penitents are required to have a spiritual director by the middle of first year novice formation. The first step to finding one is to pray for one. Here is a prayer composed by Karen Sadock, penitent: "Lord, if you want me to pursue this penitential way of life, please send me the director I need -- and the director who needs me. Make sure we recognize one another when we meet. In your good time. Amen."
Here are some pointers to help you in your search.
1. A spiritual director may be any priest, deacon, or male or female religious who agrees with all the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and also with the Rule of the Confraternity of Penitents and who is supportive of your desire to live it.
2. In approaching any potential spiritual director, assume that he or she has never heard of the Confraternity of Penitents. While you can explain the Confraternity briefly to the individual, it is always imperative that you give the person a copy of the Rule and, better yet, the CFP Handbook, to review. If you are looking for a spiritual director via the internet, refer them to the web site at Any spiritual director needs to see the Rule of the Confraternity before he or she can make any valid decision regarding spiritual direction in your regard.
3. The Confraternity of Penitents is a private Catholic Association of the Faithful with Commendation, not a Third Order. In contacting anyone about spiritual direction, be sure to use these words and not Third Order in referring to the CFP.
4. If your potential spiritual director has questions regarding the Confraternity of Penitents, please have him or her contact the Confraternity for information. We can provide copies of letters from our bishop as well as other Church related information that he or she may need.
5. Be charitable in all your dealings with anyone. Remember that we are all called to follow Christ in certain ways. Those who do not now understand your call to a life of penance may understand later and be so called themselves someday. If you meet with misunderstanding, be loving and kind and seek a spiritual director elsewhere.
6. If you need additional assistance, please contact the Confraternity.